Sunday 7 April 2013

Pinelopi's Greek Kitchen

If you are anything like me you like good food! I mean food that you dream of at night. If that's the case you should definitely try Pinelope's. It's located in Barrhaven near The Royal Oak. Don't bother with the Oak though ... seriously ... unless you want the regular pub fare.

We decided we'd roll out of the restaurant so we started with two appetizers for the three of us. We chose The Medley of Dips. Generally it also comes with Taramosalata (Salmon Roe) but we decided to stick with Hummus, Tirokefteri and Tzatziki. The Trokefteri was by far our overall favourite. It was a combo of feta cheese, roasted red peppers, herbs and mmmmmmmmmmm. The Tzatziki was also garlicky and delish. I'm not a hummus fan so I'll leave that one up to you to decide.

Medley of Dips (Hummus, Tirokefteri, Tzatziki). This also comes with Taramosalata but we passed on it. 

Warmed Greek Style Pitas
 Our next appy was the Tyropita. It's a combination of four different cheeses in phyllo (feta, ricotta, kefalotiri, parmesan) with herbs. Very cheese-ey ... I'd try the Spanakopita next time because it's just spinach, feta and herbs ... I love my salty feta. This was very good and HUGE. I'm glad we only ordered two appetisers for three people. My dates loved this dish!
Tyropita Appetiser

Now for the mains! Yum! I had the Chicken Souvlaki - It was as good as it looked. The potatoes were done perfectly and the chicken was moist and tender. The tzatziki made everything even better. I couldn't have asked for a better meal.
Chicken Souvlaki with rice, oven roasted Greek potatoes, Greek salad and Tzatziki sauce.

 Date number one's meal. Okay, her food was even better than mine! Santorini chicken - The baked topping was so good we spent a good 10 minutes discussing how we could replicate it! Inside the chicken was stuffed with spinach and feta and topped with a creamy roasted red pepper sauce. While I didn't try her veggies I know I'd kill for that chicken recipe.

Santorini Chicken with rice and vegetables


 Date two decided on the Filet Mignon butterflied with a peppercorn sauce (medium well done). The steak was done perfectly and apparently should Gordon Ramsey appear he'd approve. 

Filet Mignon with Peppercorn Sauce, rice, vegetables and potatoes



Baklava
My favourite part of the night! Baklava! It was a sweet and nutty heaven in phyllo! Date one said it was very sweet but that's the best part! Date two made a sarcastic remark that I was 'tucking into it' greedily. I finished and yes, I needed to be rolled out. 
Vanilla Kadaifi

Also fabulous - We thought the bottom was shredded coconut but it's really pastry. It's a custard with whipped cream, cinnamon, nuts and phyllo. Someone couldn't finish hers ..... hmmmm. 
Also note: The white wine is Apelia. It's really great Greek wine. I buy it from the LCBO occasionally. There is (of course) a mark up but it's so good to have with a fabulous meal .... you may as well go big or go home like we did! Try it!

If you were once a fan of the Greek Souvlaki house on Baseline Road this should now be your go-to-spot.

Check it out here www.pinelopis.ca

Ps. Make a reservation! It's really tiny and elegant!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment